An interview is a two-way street. Certainly, the company is interviewing you to see if they want to offer you a position. This is also your opportunity to interview them. You must approach each interview in this frame of mind with the goal of securing a second interview. Excite the hiring authority so much that he/she will make an offer as a result of the first meeting. At that point, you make the decision if you want the job.
The primary goal for the telephone interview is to get a face-to-face interview. The primary goal for the face-to-face interview is to get an offer. More people win interviews and get hired on the basis of their attitude than on their qualifications. As an interviewee, you are primarily a seller. The product you are selling is yourself, and the assets of the product consist of your experience, skills, and personality. Bring documentation to the interview such as awards, letters, pictures, memos, anything showing you are someone special in your business. A neat, crisp, error-free resume is mandatory.
Be informed about the company. Nothing is more impressive in an interview than being knowledgeable about the company with whom you are interviewing.
Below are some of the most commonly asked Interviewing Questions. Practice answering these with a friend, spouse, mentor or family member. Better you make your mistakes with them, rather than out on the career interview of your life. If you are answering these types of questions for the first time in an interview, you're in trouble! You know the questions you will get. Have your answers ready. Practice answering these questions with your "Interviewer" till you like your answers. Writing your answers down will give you better answers and more self-confidence.
In addition to practicing answering the above Interviewing Questions you should have 20 written questions to ask on each interview. You may not ask them all, but just having them with you will boost your confidence. Remember MOPFI, taught by Dale Carnegie. It stands for: Make Other People Feel Important.
80% of the time, you should be talking, leaving the interviewer only 20% of the time to talk. Have a written list of questions ready to ask the interviewer, such as the following:
Your primary objective is to leave an impression that is more favorable than the other candidates competing with you. Everything you say and do is under scrutiny. Use moderation in all aspects of your social conduct. If you have lunch or dinner with prospective employers, again, use moderation, including your alcohol consumption.
It is a good sign if the interviewer knows your resume background before you begin the interview and if he/she begins speaking in terms of your solving some of the organization's problems. Master the art of complimenting in a genuine and sincere manner.
Write a synopsis of the interview immediately afterwards and call us as soon as possible! If you are interested in a position, follow-up with a letter to the interviewer making sure to have the correct name, title, and address. The letter, in addition to thanking the interviewer for their time, should again spell out your prime assets and accomplishments and your continued interest in the job. Follow-up with a call to the manager in a week to restate interest in the job and see if you can schedule another interview at that time. Some employers don't like candidates to call them directly when they are working with a recruiter, but we have found if a candidate is in the running for a job, there is no harm in calling directly. Candidates can often do a better job selling themselves than we can at that point in the process. Convince the manager that you want the job and ask for the job, or another interview.
If you want additional interview tips, please contact us and we can expound in greater detail on each of these areas that we have covered. Good luck!